Chile, with its Mediterranean climate in many regions, has seen olive cultivation flourish, particularly since the late 20th century. Although olive trees were introduced during the Spanish colonial period, it’s only recently that olive and olive oil production has become significant. Chile’s central regions, such as the Central Valley, are the main cultivation centers, with both local and imported varieties producing high-quality oils.
– 25,000 hectares of olive groves dedicated to oil production.
– Extending from the Atacama Region to the Maule Region.
– Arbequina (57%), Arbosana (20%), Koronieki, Frantoio, Leccino, Picual, Coratina (remaining 13%), all Mediterranean varieties.
– In the last decade, Chilean olive oil production has seen a 33% increase.
– Going from 15,000 tons to 22,500 tons, this growth is a positive indicator for the industry.
– Brazil, the United States, and China.
– The average consumption of olive oil in Chile over the last decade stands at 7,900 tons.
– In this period, there is a peak in consumption in 2021, reaching 14,000 tons.
– 79% of this consumption is attributed to domestically sourced olive oil, while the remaining 21% is imported.
Chile currently has around 25,000 hectares of olive groves dedicated to oil production, spanning 1,000 kilometers (between 27° and 38° South Latitude). These are distributed across various regions, from the Atacama Region to the Maule Region, each with its specific soil and climate characteristics. There’s a selection of cultivars that have replaced traditional varieties, primarily used as pollinators for table varieties such as empeltre and racimo. The most relevant varieties in current Chilean olive farming are arbequina (57%), arbosana (20%), koronieki, frantoio, leccino, picual, coratina (the remaining 13%), all originating from the Mediterranean.
In recent years, the cultivation area has remained stable, but it is expected to increase over time, depending on various factors, including the availability of water, which currently significantly affects olive farming projects in Chile.
Over the last 10 years, olive oil production in Chile has increased by 33%, rising from 15,000 tons to 22,500 tons. The main destinations for Chilean oil are Brazil, the United States, and China.
The average consumption of olive oil in the last 10 years stands at 7,900 tons (reaching its peak in 2021 with a consumption of 14,000 tons). 79% corresponds to domestically produced olive oil, while the remaining 21% is imported olive oil.