Egypt

In Egypt, olive cultivation is an ancient practice, dating back to the times of the Pharaohs. The country’s warm and dry climate is ideal for olive growth. The most well-known Egyptian variety is “Touffhai”, primarily cultivated in the Nile Delta region and in the north of the country. Egypt is known for producing high-quality table olives, as well as olive oil, which has become an important element of Egyptian agriculture.

Source IOC

Source IOC

STATISTICS

  1. Extent and Production:

– 165,000 hectares of olive groves.

– Of the total production, 29.4% corresponds to olive oil, and 70.6% to table olives.

– It holds the tenth position worldwide for olive oil production and the first position for table olive production.

  1. Cultivation Methods:

– Traditional farming significantly prevails (58.2%), followed by super-intensive (23.9%) and intensive cultivation (17.9%).

– 60% of cultivations are rainfed, while the remaining 40% are irrigated.

  1. Ambitious Olive Plan:

– Egypt has planned to plant 100 million olive trees to increase olive oil production.

– Currently, over 60% of this program has been implemented in various regions of the country.

  1. Diversification of Production:

– Egypt has decided to cultivate more oil varieties to increase domestic consumption, currently low (less than 400 grams per capita annually).

  1. Trade and Export:

– Table olive exports increased from 60,000 tons in 2018/19 to 124,000 tons in the 2020/21 campaign.

– Major importing markets: United States, Australia, Brazil, Canada, and the EU.

  1. Growth of Domestic Consumption:

– Domestic production has influenced the growth of consumption in Egypt, rising from 77,000 tons in 1999/20 to 600,000 tons in 2019/20.

– Egypt is now the world’s leading consumer of table olives. Egypt currently owns 165,000 hectares of olive groves. It ranks tenth globally in cultivated area, tenth in olive oil production, and first in table olive production.

CONCLUSIONS

Regarding cultivation, traditional farming prevails significantly (58.2%), followed by super-intensive (23.9%), and finally, intensive cultivation (17.9%). 60% of total cultivation is rainfed, while the remaining 40% is irrigated.

In addition to competing for the title of the world’s leading producer of table olives with Spain – 600,000 tons produced in 2022/23 – Egypt has developed an ambitious olive plan for olive oil production, aiming to plant 100 million olive trees. Currently, over 60% of this program has already been implemented in various regions of the country. Egypt has decided to diversify production and cultivate more oil varieties to increase domestic consumption, which is still very low and does not exceed 400 grams of olive oil per capita annually.

As for trade, table olive exports increased from 60,000 tons in 2018/19 to 124,000 tons in the 2020/21 campaign. The main importing markets include the United States, Australia, Brazil, Canada, and the EU.

The evolution of consumption in Egypt is linked to the evolution of its production. The country has shifted from consuming 77,000 tons in 1999/20 to 600,000 tons in 2019/20, making it the world’s leading consumer of table olives.

Category
Statistics